Ex-Offenders Accommodation Rights

Local Council

You can apply for council housing through your local council, however, each council has its own rules. Can apply 8 weeks before you leave prison if nowhere to stay. You can apply if you’re 18 and over (some councils let you apply if you’re 16 or over). You may be able to apply even if you don’t live in the area. However, there is a waiting list and you’re not guaranteed to get a property. However, once you are successful in obtaining property, you may be eligible for universal credit which will help to pay towards payments and expenses. You need to be 18 years and over for this.

Homelessness Reduction

The Homelessness Reduction Act 2017 will help ex-offenders leaving prison in England from becoming homeless. The act puts an obligation on prison and probation services to refer people to the local authority if they are at risk of homelessness. This duty has come to force on October 2018.

National Homelessness Advice Service

Local authorities have a duty to take a homelessness application from any person where they have reason to believe that they may be homeless or threatened with homelessness within 56 days. Local housing authorities have a duty to provide interim accommodation duty where there is a reason to believe that the young person may be homeless, eligible for assistance, and in priority need. Most 16 and 17-year-olds will be entitled to accommodation from social services rather than the housing department. If the young person is over 18, they will automatically have a priority need if they have dependent children, are pregnant, are 18 to 20 and were looked after by children’s services for any time when they were 16 or 17. They may also have a priority need if they are vulnerable as a result of having been in custody, been committed in contempt for court and been on remand.

Support in Carlisle

Supporting People is based in Carlisle. It has been introduced by the Government to help vulnerable people to have a good quality of life through living as independently as possible. It is the responsibility of local government to ensure that Supporting People is delivered effectively by commissioning, paying for and monitoring services. This includes providing accommodation to ex-offenders and providing a tenancy for up to 2 years.

Carlisle Key

Carlisle Key offer advice and support to ex-offenders and actively searches for suitable accommodation.